SERVINGS: 4 / TOTAL TIME: 25 MINS
• 2 pounds thin asparagus, rinsed with ends cut off
• 3 cups water
• 2 tablespoons salted butter
• 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
• 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
• 1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
• 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
• Sea Salt to taste
• Garlic Pepper (or regular pepper) to taste
• Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
Preheat the broiler on your oven. Place the rack on the top rung.
In a large skillet, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Toss in asparagus and cook covered for 4 minutes or until fork tender. Remove asparagus and place on a nonstick baking sheet (or pre-sprayed baking sheet), in a long row. Season with sea salt and garlic pepper to taste. Set aside.
Pour 1 cup asparagus water from the skillet into a measuring cup and discard the rest.
In the same skillet, now empty, heat 2 tablespoons salted butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine, about 1 minute.
Pour the asparagus water into the skillet and combine using a whisk until a thick sauce forms. About 4 minutes.
Turn off the heat and stir in the parmesan, asiago, and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Stir until creamy and fully melted.
Pour the cheese sauce over the center of the asparagus. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella.
Broil for 4-6 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Watch this step carefully to not overcook.
Garnish with parsley if desired. Serve and enjoy!