Roasted Chicken Breasts with Caramelized Onions and Fall Fruit
Fall Chicken Recipes
10/17/2019, 6 a.m.
Roasted Chicken Breasts with Caramelized Onions and Fall Fruit Servings: 4 / Total Time: 30 mins
• 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (2 to 2-1/2 pounds)
• 4 teaspoons chicken or turkey roasting rub
• 2 large white or red onions, cut into 3/4-inch chunks (2 cups)
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
• 1 medium Granny Smith or tart red apple, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (1 cup)
• 1 medium Bosc or Anjou pear, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (1 cup)
• ⅓ cup dried cranberries, dried cherries, dried currants, golden raisins, snipped dried apricots or snipped dried figs
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 ½ teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary or 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
• ¼ cup cranberry juice, apple cranberry juice, pear nectar, apricot nectar or dry white wine
• 2 tablespoons dry sherry, white balsamic vinegar, dry vermouth or dry white wine
• Fresh green beans, trimmed and steamed (optional)
• Step 1
Lightly grease a shallow baking pan. Sprinkle the roasting rub onto all of the surfaces of the chicken; rub in with fingers. Place chicken, skin side up, in prepared baking pan. Roast, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F).
• Step 1
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onions, covered, in hot butter over medium-low heat about 15 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover; add brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 5 minutes more or until onions are golden. Add apple, pear, cranberries, garlic, rosemary and pepper to skillet. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes, stirring twice. Stir in cranberry juice and dry sherry. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 to 4 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
• Step 1
To serve, transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Spoon onion mixture over chicken. If you like, serve with steamed green beans.