Zucchini "Noodles" with Eggplant and Tomatoes
LOW-CARB SUMMER DISHES
6/25/2020, 6 a.m.
Zucchini "Noodles" with Eggplant and Tomatoes Servings: 4 / TOTAL TIME: 45 mins
• 2 medium zucchini (about 1 1/4 pounds), spiralized or cut into matchsticks
• 2 medium yellow squash (about 1 1/4 pounds), spiralized or cut into matchsticks
• 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
• 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3/4 cup (packed) basil leaves, chopped, divided
• 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
• 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 1 1/2 large long Chinese eggplants (about 3/4 pound), cut into 1/4" slices on the bias
• 2 cups cherry tomatoes, divided
• 1/4 cup pitted cured black olives, halved, divided
• 1 (8-ounce) ball fresh buffalo mozzarella, thinly sliced
Place zucchini and squash in a strainer set over a bowl. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. salt and toss to combine. Let sit 10 minutes, then shake in strainer, pressing gently, to remove any excess liquid.
Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice, honey, pepper, 1/2 cup basil, 3 Tbsp. oil, and 1/4 tsp. salt in a large bowl.
Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook garlic until it begins to sizzle and turn golden brown, 5–7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to bowl with dressing. Increase heat to medium-high, add eggplant and 1 cup tomatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is browned and cooked through and tomatoes begin to burst, about 6–8 minutes. Season with remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and transfer to bowl with dressing.
Cut remaining 1 cup tomatoes in half lengthwise and add to bowl with dressing. Add zucchini and squash; gently toss to combine. Add 3 Tbsp. olives and 2 Tbsp. basil, then transfer with tongs to a platter, letting extra liquid drain and remain in bowl. Lay mozzarella on 1 end of platter and drizzle with oil. Top dish with remaining 2 Tbsp. basil and 1 Tbsp. olives.
PHOTO BY CHELSEA KYLE, FOOD STYLING BY KATHERINE SACKS