Rhubarb-Apricot Barbecued Chicken
MEMORIAL DAY RECIPES
5/21/2020, 6 a.m.
Rhubarb-Apricot Barbecued Chicken Servings: 6 / Total Time: 1hr
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
• 3/4 cup ketchup
• 2/3 cup water
• 1/3 cup apricot preserves
• 1/4 cup cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup molasses
• 1 tablespoon honey Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
• 5 teaspoons barbecue seasoning, divided
• 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
• 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
• 12 chicken drumsticks (about 4 pounds)
• In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in rhubarb, ketchup, water, preserves, vinegar, molasses, mustard, chipotle pepper, 1 teaspoon barbecue seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until rhubarb is tender, 8-10 minutes. Puree rhubarb mixture using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and puree in a blender. Reserve 2 cups sauce for serving.
• Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the remaining barbecue seasoning, salt and pepper; sprinkle over chicken. On a lightly oiled grill rack, grill chicken, covered, over indirect medium heat 15 minutes. Turn; grill until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, 15-20 minutes longer, brushing occasionally with remaining sauce. Serve with reserved sauce.
Rhubarb-Apricot Barbecued Chicken Recipe photo by Taste of Home